Thursday, March 15, 2012

Socially Acceptable

Yesterday, Massively's Karen Bryan posted an article about revisiting anonimity on MMO games, she started about Blizzard's RealID fiasco that happens about two years ago, you can read the entirety of the scene here, followed by some news that old players from an Everquest server started a new Facebook group for their server, apparently even when people wants to retain their anonimity in the Internet, some of them are willing to remove their veil

On the second part of the post Karen addressed some of the issues regarding MMOs isn't socially accepted yet, and yes I think this hits the mark, if I want to work on some of the local company I won't be putting "MMO gaming" on my hobby list, I probably will go through with reading and music since I'm adept at some literature and have background formal study about music, but not MMO gaming --or even gaming. The consequences when you removing the veil on these overly sensitive field is that someone will use them against you, I'm gonna take Karen's example further: In this case imagine a big company, full of continuous rivalry and you are one of the middle management system and played a blood elf female healer, suddenly one time there's a facebook plug-in that allowed you to post your character progression and you forgot just to share it to some of your close friends and instead put it to everyone's page, the next morning your office will be buzzed with gossips about your female avatar, and some of the old head will even questioned your sexuality, you rival just found a new weapon and since people prejudiced a lot something as trivial as playing an MMO game become a big deal and the next is you probably lose your job because someone assured some of the big head that he's better at doing yur job just because he's not spending majority of time choosing armor for female pixel avatars. In my case I only put MMO as my general facebook profile because I don't work on a public company, my friend are already knew my hobbies and I don't give a particular care about Facebook, new friends or people might be a little bit taken aback though (more on part 2)

Someone (I can't remember who) once said: there's no anonimity on the internet nowadays so deal with it, it's not entirely true though, the anonimity on internet is the greatest blessing for some people (fully described in Gabe's pic :D) it allowed you to become almost everything, troll on a heated debate, caring person on a motivational forum, even an androgynous enigma on a dating site, you can even BE multiple persons at once!!! But everything become useless in front of the indisputable fact that when you posted your real name (or even nickname) on the world wide web you might as well lost some or even all of your anonimity.

Taking it one step further out

Let's take on the social media, Zuckerberg himself said he'll make a website that will connect everyone in the world and by connecting it means pouring much information on yourself that has something in common on someone else, in my country Facebook probably become some of the (not so) new hype, since it connects people easily and can be accessed via little gadgets like smartphones, but apparently people here are not so well versed on Facebook which has become more complex than 4 years ago. Let me tell you a story, some times ago I met a particular person, and I added her on my friend list, the twisted thing is I added her with just her real name, give or takes a few letters in and out and voila I found her, I did this on my pocket Facebook right in front of her in just a matter of minutes, normal people would actually asked for her email adresses but since I'm not exactly normal and 'socially accepted'(and I might have some brief superiority complex outburst) I probably did something that is so repulsive and might scared (or probably disgusted) her, I don't know since I never talked about it and we're not actually 'close friends'(no pun intended) this is an example of the power of a Facebook tool called friend finder. Facebook even have something called the subscribe button which probably more like 'stalking' button. Hell I even stalked WOW general discussion for years before I truly subscribing, that's why I'm not even remotely surprised I met so much much MUCH jerks on troll heroics before the Dragon Soul Heroic somehow fixed it

Social Media: Yes it's good to for keeping in touch with friends and families, I always considered my old Lineage 2 Clan as a second family, even when we bickers A LOT I think one thing that keeps us 'close' is because we are all an avid Facebook user and MMO gamers, on the other hand I have many people on my friend list which I probably won't poke or even talked to for the rest of my life just because the only thing we have in common is we share the same high school or something like that, it'll probably come in handy when we want to started a reunion but I can't see anything beyond that, I think the bigger question is: Am I socially accepted just because I'm adept at using social media and have good and useful comments on someone else's thread? We probably have to define the term 'socially accepted' first 'the field' and then we define social skills and the division of real world versus (real) virtual world, and in the end we'll debating about the terms 'friends' and 'families' or even 'feelings' and there's where everything become complicated like the real world =)) =)) =))

No comments:

Post a Comment