Thursday, March 21, 2019

Options Matters

Minor Spoiler for Detroit Becomes Human demo and Dragon Age Inquisition

For the first time Epic Games is bringing Quantic Dreams Titles (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Soul, and Detroit Becomes Human) to PC, Originally exclusives to Playstation and they skipped Steam Store, which makes me wonder will other exclusive PS4 like God of War (Sony) or Spider-Man (Insomniac) will make way to PC too. All titles are on sale on Playstation Spring Store right now and I already took out Detroit Becomes Human from my basket (I like having options), I played Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls already, for some 'next generation point and click adventure' their story was great.

Speaking of options the demos will probably come out in near time, I played the Detroit demo on PS4  two days ago and although it was Quantic Dream's fastest selling title because they boast 'CHOICES MATTER' in their card title and constantly reminding me throughout the demo that all my action would shape the story, I found myself perturbed by the appearance of 'probability success' in the demo mission.

If my choices matter why the probability success? It's a hostage situation and I have a choice to investigate the crime scene first or just to confront the perpetrator, I did the first and although my success probability spiked up to 99% I decided to off the guy (after I got close and calmed him down) and then apparently my brain start destabilizing.

If choice matters, IMO there's a good chance there are 'bad endings' and 'good endings', in Dragon Age: Inquisition I did some terrible choice for the sake of a mission and ended up losing a party member (although it happened IN THE DLC) but I can accept that, there's also credit title cards and stuffs about that decision and the aftermath consequence, that makes me feel that my choices did matter.

But probability success? for what? good endings? am I pushed towards good? most game which offered 'choices' often have half-assed situation for 'bad ending' (ex: your character died, your friend died, something blew up, everyone died) and they sometimes have cutscenes... SHORTER cutscenes  compared to the 'good ending' cutscenes, plus they often have action or bonus mission for the good ones (Spec Ops The Line: I'm talking about you), after I finished the Detroit demo there's a flow chart page, which show me my progression, and apparently yes, there are longer cutscenes attributed to the 'good ending'

My choice matters, but apparently my playtime will be shorter if I just turn violent for the sake of a mission =)) =))

No comments:

Post a Comment